Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Coming down off the Turtle High.


I got asked a great question today : " Were you more tired at the end of the day on July 5th 2008 or July 5th 2009?" My honest answer : "2009" . But if I could go back and do it all over again , I would in a heartbeat, just like 2008. There are things I'd do differently from this year ( more on that later) but I would not change a thing from how 2008 played out - that was how it was meant to be and the reward is now a whole year old ! Incredible.

I think it was a successful party overall. In the future I won't throw a party on his actual birthday, I want to spend that day with him and I feel like I was too busy to do that and am sorry for that. He woke up at his usual 7am on Sunday, we cuddled together in bed for a while and then got the day started. Pancakes for breakfast and then he "opened" a few presents. Then Mommy got back to work in the kitchen and Daddy kept the birthday boy entertained.

The weather forecast was saying "SEVERE THUNDER SHOWERS" for our area starting around 4pm... exactly when the party was scheduled to start, a party which was planned for outside since it had not rained in weeks... of course! So I did a re-think and despite it actually looking good outside , we decided not to risk it and so we set up everything inside. I had borrowed 3 large Tents, 3 Tables and plenty of outdoor chairs from a friend for the outside but those stayed in the garage unused :( I had visions ( and the supplies) for the bigger kids to be running through the sprinkler, doing sidewalk chalk, games, ball pits, popsicles in the sun, crafts and splashy turtle pool for the lil ones, none of that happened. It could have in hindsight as it didn't rain at all, but I had spent all my setup time indoors and by the time people started arriving I just had enough time to change and brush my teeth!
There was plenty of food, I felt like I was forcing people to eat because Bubba had warned that there was too much food and I didn't want to prove him right by having tons of leftovers - which we did - We had Hotdogs , you know we had to have hotdogs as a shout out to when Elijah had no name and we called him hot dog , Casey wore a Hot dog T-shirt! Wish we had got a picture of that. We also had burgers and "turtle sliders" for the kids but I am not sure if people even knew thats what they were as I didn't explain them well. Here's what they wee supposed to look like>

Of course I had waaaaay too much candy. My intention was not to overdose everyones kids with sugar but more for decoration but of course I told them to help themselves at the end.


There were 2 cakes - a Turtle and a Tortoise as well as 20-something cupcakes. Of course a Fruit Turtle - what party would be complete without one? And Turtle juice -punch with a turtle swimming in it. Have I mentioned my middle name is "over -the-top" Its a family name. From my Moms side.


So despite me forgetting to bust out the bottles of wine, the music I had prepared on my ipod, the cute lil tent I had lovingly made and several other small details, it went well.
The highlight was when everyone sang Happy Birthday to my baby, I wish I had got that on video, instead I stood there with the camcorder in my hand and sang. Then he was offered his first cake and he did not decline it. He did devour it!


He shrieked with excitement and I think he loved all the attention, but once that cake was in front of him I am pretty sure he did not know the rest of us were even there anymore!

He was showered with wonderful, thoughtful and super fun gifts. I hope I Thanked everyone verbally when opening them, it was a bit chaotic!! We really do appreciate your generosity and he has not found a single one that he doesn't like yet! Including the boxes.

My guy is ONE. Its been a whole year that we have been blessed with that face and the personality that grows by the minute. I wish wish wish MY family could be here to celebrate with him, but they called and sang to him earlier and we'll make up for it in due time. Thats just the way it is for us but our love is big enough to cross over vast oceans and it was felt despite them not being here in person.

Thank you to everyone for being a part of his life so far , I just know he is going to grow up to be a person of integrity and honor with a great sense of humor and gratitude because he is learning from all of you everyday , some of the most wonderful people in the world. Lucky Boy.

Happy Birthday Dear Elijah. Happy Birthday toooo YOU! Hip Hip Hooooray. Nog-a-piep HOORAY!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

counter widget web counter